This is my first ever blog post!
In general I dislike most things digital or powered by electricity – drills, computers, self-imploding phone apps – but love anything manual and messy. Give me a garden to dig or wall to build over social media networks and widgets anyday. Cooking, gardening, doing my art, walking, badminton and singing keep me happy. Writing alternately drives me bananas and keeps me awake at night with ideas that just HAVE to be written down at three in the morning (my memory is definitely not what it was…).
Putting my writing out into the public domain is something I desperately want to do, but getting ‘out there’ into social-media land freaks me out – so this blog is a not-so-minor miracle. It’s like hitting the digital age on one of my dad’s steam trains – full on hiss and heat but many years too late. I got there in the end, but now I need to let the firebox get up to speed.
So what do I want to blog about? How do I make it useful and interesting for me, and hopefully for you lot out there, too?
Here is a list of the things that engage me and that I hope to share with you:
- The amazing place I’m at in giving up a job to focus on caring for my dad and my writing and artwork.
- Mental health: the highs and lows and what I’ve learnt during years of tackling my own and working in this field.
- Theology/spirituality: what I’m reading, what I’m experiencing, what inspires me, what I’ve learn from others.
- Me, my dad and his dementia. Our journey together. The logistics of caring at a distance. (Including the funny bits….)
- A ‘Mad’ and ‘Marvel’ moment in my life since my last blog post.
- I don’t promise that the odd garden or cookery reference won’t pop up sometimes!
Continuing to dig foundations and moving hardcore for my paving when my old shoulder injury was definitely telling me ‘no’!
Finding three amazing and inspiring women to form a ‘Companions on the (Writing) Journey’ group.